National Service Scheme
The National Service Scheme is the real third dimension of Higher Education System close to social realities and community concern i.e., developing a living link with community by the institution of higher learning helps in marching towards the prosperity of the mankind. The National Service Scheme (NSS) is a government-sponsored public service program conducted by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Government of India. National Service Scheme comes under the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India and NSS cell, Higher and technical education, Govt. of Maharashtra. NSS was launched in Gandhiji’s Centenary year, 1969-70.
The Motto of NSS “Not Me But You” is a sense of expression of the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for selfless service and appreciation of the other man’s point of view and also to underline that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of society as a whole. 24th September is celebrated every year as NSS Day with great enthusiasm and pride.
The vision is to build the youth with the mind and spirit to serve the society and work for the social uplift of the down-trodden masses of our nation as a movement.
The National Service Scheme has been functioning with the motto “NOT ME BUT YOU” in view of making the youth inspired in service of the people and hence NSS Aims Education through Community Service and Community Service through Education.
- Understand the community in which they work.
- Understand themselves in relation to their community.
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving process.
- Develop among them a sense of social and civic responsibility.
- Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solution to individual and community problems.
- Develop competence required for group living and sharing of responsibilities.
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation.
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude.
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters and Practice National integration and social harmony.
- Practice national integration and social harmony.
NSS in R. C .Patel Educational Trust’s Institute of Management Research and Development, Shirpur
NSS unit of RCPET’s IMRD, Shirpur was established on 24th September 2019 with around 60 volunteers. Presently, the NSS unit of RCPET’s IMRD, Shirpur, affiliated with KBC North Maharashtra University Jalgaon.
The main aim of NSS unit in RCPET’s IMRD is to contribute to the wellbeing of the society in various fields and sectors. It also aims at developing the personality of young minds through community service who will later serve as citizens aiming for a better tomorrow. National Service Scheme unit of RCPET’s IMRD functions in a distinctive manner with seven different groups operating in various sectors aiming at public welfare and personality development of the volunteers.
The activity of NSS always encourages volunteers to understand community, to imbibe good relationship with society, national integration and to increase awareness about social issues. With utter zeal and enthusiasm, the work continues to serve the society throughout the year. Various activities such as Blood donation camp, interactive sessions for students, tree plantation programme, cleanliness drive and street plays helps the NSS unit to reach the society through every way possible.